The Music Program at CBC is one that is rich and vibrant. It gives a vital mode of expression to our boys that is very different from how they communicate in most other scenarios at this important time in their lives.
Every Year 7 student learns to play a musical instrument as part of the CBC St Kilda Junior Concert Band Program. Specialist teachers are also available to teach guitar, percussion (drums) and piano, woodwind and brass. For many of our students in the Junior Concert Band, this is the first time that they have picked up an instrument.
Many of our boys continue to play or sing all the way through their time at CBC, with countless opportunities throughout the academic year to show off their skills. Our rock bands play at open evenings, our concert bands play at our Carols evening with St Mary’s Primary School and Presentation College Windsor, and student provide the music at our ANZAC Ceremonies, to name but a few.
Year 7 Classroom Band Program
Students receive instrumental tuition and free hire of a Concert Band instrument: flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, euphonium, trombone and tuba.
Concert Band Program
Year 7 Medallion Concert Band, Year 8 Intermediate Concert Band and the CBC Concert Band all perform at College events, liturgies, primary schools and within the local community.
Student music opportunities
- Private instrumental tuition available for guitar, drums, piano, brass and woodwind
- Vocal Ensemble with free private tuition available
- VCE Music Courses Music Performance - Solo or Group Music Investigation - Solo or Group
- Student rock groups encouraged and supported - Winner of ACC ‘Battle of the Bands’ 2012, 2013 and 2015.
Events in which music students participate
- Annual concerts: ‘Bands Aplenty Night’ and ‘Visual and Performing Arts Showcase’
- Annual combined Music Camp with PCW
- Annual Combined Musical Production with PCW Melbourne. Previous productions: Wizard of Oz, Return to the Forbidden Planet, Grease, Little Shop of Horrors and Bugsy Malone
- Participation in Associated Catholic Colleges Music events.